Sunday, November 29, 2009

Happy Teacher´s Day!


Here in Spain this Friday is Teacher´s Day and I´m sure most of you (well, here in the Canaries at least!) will be heading towards the beaches for a well deserved long weekend of rest and relaxation.


The way teachers are viewed throughout the world varies a great deal, and I thought you might be interested to read this post I read from a Nepali teacher to wish his colleages a Happy Teacher´s Day.. as I do you!


Happy Teacher´s Day... from Nepal!

“Today was a different day for me because I am a teacher. I have been a teacher for more than twenty years. And every year this day adds fuel to my life as a teacher. The reason is today is Teacher´s Day in Nepal. It is celebrated by students on the full moon day of the Nepali month Ashad.

At seven in the morning, one of my former students made a surprise visit to my suburban home in Kathmandu. He came, wished me a Happy Teacher´s Day and gave me a bouquet of flowers and sweets. Though such things are not of much value in themselves, they became special on this particular day.

In the late morning and afternoon, I received so many text messages that I could not reply to them all. All the messages were best wishes from my dear students. One read: To wish you a great, prosperous, blissful, healthy, bright, energetic, terrific and extremely happy Teacher´s Day!! It brought out the love that this student had for me.

In Nepal, teachers are respected as gurus. So students either visit their teachers with flowers and sweets or organize a function at school to mark the day. They literally worship the teacher, placing him or her on a special chair, smearing red colour on the face, decorating them with garlands and offering them sweets. Some will recite poems and others will offer words of praise for their gurus”.

HAPPY TEACHER´S DAY, EVERYONE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment